America Gets Cooking to Stop Diabetes is an initiative designed to inspire people to live a more active and healthier lifestyle, empowering all Americans to cook nutritious and delicious food, and be more active.
Here are just a few of the recent statistics on diabetes:
- Nearly 30 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes.
- Another 86 million Americans have prediabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
- The American Diabetes Association estimates that the total national cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is $245 billion.
- The rates of diagnosed diabetes by race/ethnic background are:
- 7.6% of non-Hispanic whites
- 9.0% of Asian Americans
- 12.8% of Hispanics